What minilite wheels are these?

17 comments

  1. Hi all not too sure if this is the relevant section but I just wondering what type minilites these are and if they can be bought today. I understand some works cars used 10×5.5' magnesium wheels and these look like 10×5 or the 10×5.5 type and not the 10×4.5 ones as i have on my mini at the moment. Also does anyone know a paint code for the gold used on works cars mini wheels as the minilite wheels produced in this colour know looks to bright?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Evan.

    Quick picture of the wheels in question

    [IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab38/EvanBrown_1977loudmini/redmk2rallymini.jpg[/IMG]

    My magnesium minilites with rare inner groove

    [IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab38/EvanBrown_1977loudmini/2minilitealloy4.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab38/EvanBrown_1977loudmini/My%201977%20Mini/010920106279.jpg[/IMG]

  2. Hi Evan
    I would have thought the wheels would have come from Minilite (TecDel in the days of the works cars) ready painted. Minilite (recently moved from Somerset to Telford) still offer a choice of gold or silver finish so I would suggest giving them a ring to check colours. Might be a stove enamel finish?

  3. Thanks for the info you've been very helpful, Unfortunately my green mini in the picture does have some damage where someone has applied heaps of filler in the rear quarter and it has cracked badly. I guess there has been a badly welded panel up to half way from the quarter panel as there is no dents or anything from the inside.
    I will check with Minilite to see what type of finish the gold is and how it compares.
    I understand the minilites on the red car are the thick flange rim type, the only people that do these now are Minilife sold by Minispares but only in 10×4.5 whereas i'm looking for 10×5 with the little bit more dish.
    Any other ideas where i can get some to look similar?

    Evan.

  4. I guess not very real/british are minilite copies made in Japan. 'Mab01' has some on his classic. 10×6 if I remember correctly. Let him confirm and tell you if they are good or not.

    Cheers.

  5. 1977 loud min wrote: “Thanks for the info you've been very helpful, Unfortunately my green mini in the picture does have some damage where someone has applied heaps of filler in the rear quarter and it has cracked badly. I guess there has been a badly welded panel up to half way from the quarter panel as there is no dents or anything from the inside.
    I will check with Minilite to see what type of finish the gold is and how it compares.
    I understand the minilites on the red car are the thick flange rim type, the only people that do these now are Minilife sold by Minispares but only in 10×4.5 whereas i'm looking for 10×5 with the little bit more dish.
    Any other ideas where i can get some to look similar?

    Evan.”
    Evan
    Minilite certainly make a 10 x 5' and a 10 x 5.5' with S offset, although they use an aluminium alloy these days (but they still do magnesium if you've won the lottery last night). The design has changed slightly from the 60's casting. The main criticism most people have is the wheel size and 'Minilite' are cast onto the outside. Take a look at [URL]http://www.minilitewheels.com/[/URL] . You will find contact details there as well. I also notice that they are still call Techdel.

    Pete

  6. Thanks Ministar, i think i know the ones you mean if they have a lot of offset/dish on a white car with dunlop CR replica tyres?

    PeteC, I've just given minilite an email asking about the wheels etc, I doubt i'll be going for magnesium then 🙂 when you say about the new wheel design what do you mean about a criticism being the wheel size?
    Would it be the S offset i would need to get the works rally look as in the picture as i am unsure?

    Thanks again, Evan.

  7. I'm not sure but the wheels on the red car look like they've had the rims machined down, the shoulders look very square ? I've seen another set of alloy Minilifes altered just like.

  8. 1977 loud min wrote: “Thanks Ministar, i think i know the ones you mean if they have a lot of offset/dish on a white car with dunlop CR replica tyres?

    PeteC, I've just given minilite an email asking about the wheels etc, I doubt i'll be going for magnesium then 🙂 when you say about the new wheel design what do you mean about a criticism being the wheel size?
    Would it be the S offset i would need to get the works rally look as in the picture as i am unsure?

    Thanks again, Evan.”
    The wheel size and the word 'Minilite' is cast into the part of the wheel where the spoke join the rim. The original 1960's wheels didn't have this. I'll post a picture of my 4.5 wheels, but it will probably be Tuesday before I can do this.

    Because the Cooper S has beefier hubs which stick out further, the wheels had a greater offset so that they still fitted under the arches as per the Cooper and the normal Mini. Therefore to get the correct wheel you have to specify S offset if the car is fitted with S 7.5 brakes at the front and spacered drums at the back.

    Pete

  9. That would be good to see your mini with 10×4.5's, mine don't have any markings either. I would probably go for the non Cooper S type as i'm running drums all round being a 77 car.
    I've emailed minilite and by the looks of it the gold is very bright and shiny, the car in the picture in my original post has very dark gold wheels so i would probably need to get them powdercoated if this is suitable?

    Austin Powered – do you have any pictures of the machined minilifes as it would be good to see whats been done?

    Evan.

  10. 1977 loud min wrote: “That would be good to see your mini with 10×4.5's, mine don't have any markings either. I would probably go for the non Cooper S type as i'm running drums all round being a 77 car.
    I've emailed minilite and by the looks of it the gold is very bright and shiny, the car in the picture in my original post has very dark gold wheels so i would probably need to get them powdercoated if this is suitable?

    Austin Powered – do you have any pictures of the machined minilifes as it would be good to see whats been done?

    Evan.”

    Sorry to confuse, but mine do have the size and Minilite cast into them. Unfortunately I couldn't take the pics today but will try tomorrow weather permitting.

    Mine are silver and were very bright at first but are toning down a little thanks to road dirt and brake dust. I think they come powder coated rather than sprayed and you will need to find out if they can be powder coated a second time.
    Pete

  11. Ah right i got the impression yours were 1960's wheels but nevertheless it would be good to see them. I was wondering whether or not to either paint them, powdercoat them or posibily get them blasted then finished in the correct gold.
    My rear wheels have gone really dull on the rear because of the salt used on roads in the winter and the fact that the front wheels spray everything at them. They need refurbishing really as the magnesium is showing allowing corrosion which isn't good on 40+ year old wheels.

  12. Don't try powdercoating mag wheels either, unless you like lots of bubbles ! :p There was a previous thread on the forum of folk's differing experiences refurbing mag wheels. Minilite themselves will of course refurb yours for you at a price. Yes they can become cracked in old age though I've yet to hear of one ever failing on a road car.

  13. Thanks for the help, the maglites were i think plasticoated and then powder coated by the previous owner after beeing blasted and they had a good finish. Also when i first bought them i asked minilite if they crack test them and they don't anymore so i just fitted them. I guess the plasticoat was a type of base coat to try and prevent reaction/bubbles?

  14. Austin Powere wrote: ” Yes they can become cracked in old age though I've yet to hear of one ever failing on a road car.”

    Not Minilite, or on a mini, but I have; although investigation post accident suggested they failed mid accident rather than being the initial cause. They did however add to the severity of the results.:eek: General consensus was that in normal conditions they could well have given problem free service for many further years but failed under accident loads, one going under the vehicle and launching it skyward. Not good!

  15. Pete wrote: “The wheel size and the word 'Minilite' is cast into the part of the wheel where the spoke join the rim. The original 1960's wheels didn't have this. I'll post a picture of my 4.5 wheels, but it will probably be Tuesday before I can do this.

    Because the Cooper S has beefier hubs which stick out further, the wheels had a greater offset so that they still fitted under the arches as per the Cooper and the normal Mini. Therefore to get the correct wheel you have to specify S offset if the car is fitted with S 7.5 brakes at the front and spacered drums at the back.

    Pete”

    Sorry it's taken a bit of time to do this, but attached is a picture of the marking cast into the rim of a modern Minilite. I suppose in the 1960's when Minilites first appeared there were no copies, so the real thing didn't need to be branded. Today however…

    You can see that they have a flat rim (so all the weights have to go on the inside), and distinct radius not the very sharp edge as per the red car above. I don't have a picture of an original wheel on a Works car. If someone does perhaps they can post it for comparison, But the only difference I can see is the marking cast in.
    Pete

Leave a comment