Orx7f

30 comments

  1. Could someone clarify if Rauno Aaltonen's car during Monte Carlo Historic 2011 was the 'real' one or a replica ? Front license plate was (purposively?) almost illegible. I doubt that Paul Lips would lost the oportunity to co-pilot the 'King' in his beloved ORX7F, if he still owns it of course, following the fantastic history of this car after its acquisition by Paul, back in 1992, and its restoring process.
    Thanks, Luis

  2. Have you seen the discussion in this thread: [URL]http://forum.minicooper.org/showthread.php?t=14295[/URL] ? Especially debate regarding the position of the steering wheel. Last time we had any pics of ORX7F, from Paul, there were no problems regarding clarity of the registration plate.

  3. In attach the pictures about ORX replica. Please note the big difference with the Paul original car; I've seen up close the works ORX7F Paul car and is a fantastic car.

  4. Do you think that car looked like ORX 7F? It was a very poor example of a copy of ORX as I saw it in person on Quai Albert in Monaco and I can tell you this, it was nothing like the superb example Paul built.

    Graeme

  5. I remember reading anywhere that this works replica with plate ORX7F is owned by a Austrian enthusiast. This person have contact with Rauno Aaltonen asked to pose for photos and driving this car on the Ennstall classic and he accepted.
    I think the same thing that has happened to the Monte Carlo 2011

  6. Graeme Alla wrote: “Do you think that car looked like ORX 7F? It was a very poor example of a copy of ORX as I saw it in person on Quai Albert in Monaco and I can tell you this, it was nothing like the superb example Paul built.

    Graeme”

    Thanks to all for the replies.
    Certainly I dont believe, answering your question, as Paul's car is a notable example of how an ex-works car should remain or be restored , very close to its original condition ! Very strange , for me, this participation of Rauno Aaltonen.
    Thanks, Luis

  7. That thing is an abortion – who ever built that and tried to pass it off on something like the monte should be ashamed – flippin awfull inside and out – whats with all the crap on the dash as well – at least get some decent stopwatches my boy…tut tut

    Can the real ORX please stand up, please stand up !!!

    (thats my hate mail box full now)

  8. hanlminima wrote: “I wonder where they got the NOS rocker switches from? :D”

    When did mk2 cars have square tranmission tunnels and no 850 magic wand gearshift hole????:confused:

  9. JC T ON wrote: “Well apparently here is one 😀 ha ha

    no, you are absolutely right, thats a 1973 and on gear tunnel.”

    Must have had one helluva job fitting those mk2 doors and getting them to lock:D— or they fitted the wrong floorpan!!!:eek: I see the inner wings have the mk5 vertical flute pressing as well—hmmmmmmmmmmm:D

  10. I wonder what would have happened if they had started from Glasgow instead of Marrakesh. 'Excuse me, officer, that car is a ringer!'

    Oh, and thanks for helping my education in identifying REAL Coopers!! LOL

  11. Minihaha97 wrote: “When did mk2 cars have square tranmission tunnels and no 850 magic wand gearshift hole????:confused:”

    Well apparently here is one 😀 ha ha

    no, you are absolutely right, thats a 1973 and on gear tunnel.

  12. Andy2 wrote: “…… thanks for helping my education in identifying REAL Coopers!! LOL”

    Its often the forgotten smallest detail that shows up a 'fake'–we are all still learning!!:cool:

  13. Minihaha97 wrote: “Must have had one helluva job fitting those mk2 doors and getting them to lock:D— or they fitted the wrong floorpan!!!:eek: I see the inner wings have the mk5 vertical flute pressing as well—hmmmmmmmmmmm:D”

    I didn't think you could fit mk1/2 doors to a later mk3 onwards shell as i have a mk4 1977 rally inspired mini and have been wanting to do this? I know people fit the mk1/2 door hinges to later doors but for the classic look i think it would be great to get an earlier door to fit. Is the door just taller in regards to the window?

    Evan.

  14. its just a few panels to swap.
    mk1/2 inner a panels & outer a panels & door step & mk1/2 doors think these is closing panel for the a panels and a few other little tweaks

  15. marinespark wrote: “its just a few panels to swap.
    mk1/2 inner a panels & outer a panels & door step & mk1/2 doors think these is closing panel for the a panels and a few other little tweaks”

    The lower section of the B post from waist level would need altered too for the lock mechanism to work—mk1/2 doors are different shape to a mk3 in that area. Seems an awful lot of work to go to, to get the sliding window and outside hinge look!:confused:

  16. 1977 loud min wrote: “………… Is the door just taller in regards to the window?

    Evan.”

    Hi Evan– the mk3 onwards doors are totally different shape both at the front–to A panel and at the rear–to B post–as well as being slightly taller to fit the re-designed shell.
    Having replaced/restored the A panels on mk1's and had lots of fiddling about to get mk1 doors to line up properly, it seems to me to be a lot of unnecessary work to move to fitting earlier doors to a mk3 shell— but nothing is impossible–if you have the patience and cash to do it.:cool:

  17. Minihaha97 wrote: “Hi Evan– the mk3 onwards doors are totally different shape both at the front–to A panel and at the rear–to B post–as well as being slightly taller to fit the re-designed shell.
    Having replaced/restored the A panels on mk1's and had lots of fiddling about to get mk1 doors to line up properly, it seems to me to be a lot of unnecessary work to move to fitting earlier doors to a mk3 shell— but nothing is impossible–if you have the patience and cash to do it.:cool:”

    Thanks for the help Minihaha970 money is always a limiting factor unfortunately. I actually prefer the look of mk1/2 door hinges to the internal type. I think it's because it seperates the cars lines a bit, plus it gives the appearance at first of being an older mini. It does seem like a lot of work, which makes me wonder why the car mensioned in this topic has had this work done. I suppose to try and make it look authentic?

    Evan.

  18. 1977 loud min wrote: “Thanks for the help Minihaha970 money is always a limiting factor unfortunately. I actually prefer the look of mk1/2 door hinges to the internal type. I think it's because it seperates the cars lines a bit, plus it gives the appearance at first of being an older mini. It does seem like a lot of work, which makes me wonder why the car mensioned in this topic has had this work done. I suppose to try and make it look authentic?

    Evan.”

    Well Evan, the only way to make a car 'look authentic' is to make it from the correct parts in the first place— alas these are becoming less and less—so thats maybe the reason behind this car. Looking at the other interior pictures the roof cant rail above the drivers head is indeed a mk4—the plinth for the recessed interior lamp gives that away–as does the side rails that a full roof cloth would fix to with roof rails across the shell—Actually if you check various early shells they were different every year as the production progressed from 59-70 when the mk3 was re-designed.

    Cheers Andy

  19. See, it's just a couple of moths that I was not looking at the Forum, and there is a lot of talking going on! No, it was not me, and neither was the car. That is- and will always be RHD!-
    This Austrian gentleman has been using his 'replica' on some events, and sometimes with His Majesty Rauno at the wheel as well. I don't think Rauno is having any problem in driving an original or a replica, as long as the car propels him during his driving!
    In any case, it's not even the only replica that had the guts of putting my registration on the bonnet. Here on this very same Forum, I saw a picture of an ORX7F replica being driven at the Mini 25th celebrations. It had something odd in it, and indeed it had the front number plate and rally plate in opposed position than the original!
    I met another one, and yes, another LHD, at a Retromobile in Paris, possibly some 18 years ago. It was French registered, and was using the ORX7F registration just for the show.
    What amazes me is that the Austrian gentleman that owns the Monte Historique 2011 replica, had the stomach to say that he had his replica made as a tribute to ORX7F '….that disappeared some time ago…' and was so quoted on Classic Cars magazine…

  20. ebay again

    saw this mag on ebay–Paul you probably have it but would make an interesting read.

    [url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130366081809[/url]

Leave a comment