Orx 777f

36 comments

  1. Hey KF, check Mini World December 2009:) there was a 6 page article, full of private photos(ALL in colour):cool: by Mike Wood,and words by Peter Barker. Hope this is of help.

    Jens Christian

  2. Hi Folks
    I am hoping to build a replica as a tribute and homage to the 1968 Hopkirk Monte car ORX 777F.

    Does anyone have any good exterior and/or interior photographs they could lend or sell to me. Alternatively any idea where I might obtain some?

  3. [I] JC T ON wrote: “Hey KF, check Mini World December 2009:) there was a 6 page article, full of private photos(ALL in colour):cool: by Mike Wood,and words by Peter Barker. Hope this is of help.

    Jens Christian”
    [/I]
    Thanks Jens
    I seem to have missed this copy.
    Are the photos of a general 'Works' nature, or are there any specific to
    ORX 777F?
    With best wishes

  4. kingfishe wrote: ”

    Thanks Jens
    I seem to have missed this copy.
    Are the photos of a general 'Works' nature, or are there any specific to
    ORX 777F?
    With best wishes”

    They are all Mike Woods private photos, unpublished untill that date, so they are really cool to see.
    I bought this issue, becourse there was a old WP, on the cover:rolleyes: but thats me:o he he

    Jens Christian

  5. Look under 68 Monte
    [URL]http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/comps_dept_special_tuning_pics.htm[/URL]

    Maybe optical illusion but it looks as if the hole for the light bar loom plug is drilled in very, very slightly different place.

  6. Austin Powere wrote: “We did print alot of them in the MCR mag , must have been ooh over ten years ago now, when he leant me the slide collection.

    Steve Eccershall has built a superb replica of ORX 707F of course, here's Mike with the car at the Gold Cup in 2007…..

    Hi AP, sorry, didnt know that, they are still nice though:)
    and the nice replica, has something that needs to be corrected;)
    ALL works cars, for the 68 Monte, had Silver painted wheels, but maybe he likes, the Team Gold Leaf colour combo ? its such a classic colour combo, on a 60ies race car:cool:

    Jens Christian

  7. JC T ON wrote: “They are all Mike Woods private photos, unpublished untill that date ”

    We did print alot of them in the MCR mag , must have been ooh over ten years ago now, when he leant me the slide collection.

  8. JC T ON wrote: ” nice replica, has something that needs to be corrected;)
    ALL works cars, for the 68 Monte, had Silver painted wheels, but maybe he likes, the Team Gold Leaf colour combo ?
    Jens Christian”

    The works used gold painted (5 1/2 J) Minilites on ORX 707F (amongst others) on the '68 Tulip Rally which this car is a replica of.

  9. kingfishe wrote: “Does anyone know if ORX 777F is still around?”

    A little bird told me that it was in bits somewhere in Lancashire ? Amazing survival rate these ex works cars eh ?

    😉

  10. Austin Powere wrote: “The works used gold painted (5 1/2 J) Minilites on ORX 707F (amongst others) on the '68 Tulip Rally which this car is a replica of.”

    Hi AP,
    Yes I know, but the thread is about the 68 Monte spec cars, not the Tulip, thats why I put this in, didnt want KF, to get the colour wrong, if he is going for the 68 Monte look:)

    Jens Christian

  11. LMM76 wrote: ”
    Maybe optical illusion but it looks as if the hole for the light bar loom plug is drilled in very, very slightly different place.”

    Or there are some 'replica' cars, that need to relocate the plug;)

  12. What I was getting at is that on original works cars on the same in period event there may have been minute differences, so in this case having pictures of 7 and 707 is no good for an exact replica of 777.
    (Abingdon did eventually rationalise engines but a single mechanic still usually built a particular car right to the end so could drill holes slightly differently than the guy alongside on another car. Ford were much the same until Allan Wilkinson re-organised things)

  13. LMM76 wrote: ” having pictures of 7 and 707 is no good for an exact replica of 777.

    Whilst that's true I doubt that'll be happening unless the author of this thread's got £30,000 spare to build it. 😉

  14. I can possibly share my little bit here. To the best of my knowledge, ORX777F is owned by a german gentleman who lives in Dublin. The one in Lancashire is actually ORX77F, ORX707F is in Ireland, so as it was mine, ORX7F, until I have bought it in…. 1992. I have quite a number of pics of the 4 cars, clearly focusing mainly on 7F, but I have some 40 specific 777 pics. A very good source has been the MCKlein archive, they release (on a fee) very good original pics of the time. [URL='http://www.mcklein.de'%5Dwww.mcklein.de%5B/URL%5D

  15. I've been told they have heaps more images than are in the galleries, many yet to be scanned. Quite like the one of John Cooper in the CCC racer at Monza, and the colour shot of servicing on the Tour De France.

  16. cherished no plate

    hi there, i have a no plate for sale, reg:- ORX 79F. see ebay item no:- 120525103613.

    if you are interested or know anyone who is,please email me on [email]gulfracingescort@hotmail.co.uk[/email].

    thanks

    alex:D

  17. orx 777F

    ORX7 wrote: “I can possibly share my little bit here. To the best of my knowledge, ORX777F is owned by a german gentleman who lives in Dublin. The one in Lancashire is actually ORX77F, ORX707F is in Ireland, so as it was mine, ORX7F, until I have bought it in…. 1992. I have quite a number of pics of the 4 cars, clearly focusing mainly on 7F, but I have some 40 specific 777 pics. A very good source has been the MCKlein archive, they release (on a fee) very good original pics of the time. [URL='http://www.mcklein.de'%5Dwww.mcklein.de%5B/URL%5D

    Still in Dublin AFIK , the owner is Irish , father was German.

  18. Hi Folks
    Just resurrecting an earlier post.
    [B]Anyone any further info on ORX 777F whereabouts?[/B]
    I would be grateful for any link.
    With best wishes

  19. blue1300g wrote: “As stated in a previous post ORX777F is still in the hands of it's long term (Irish) owner. It is presently awaiting restoration.”

    Here the plot thickens:
    I live in Lancashire and had in my possession, some five years ago, an ex-works mini belonging to a friend who is Irish and lives in Dublin.
    The car in question was purported to be ORX 707F. It was in a terrible state having been rallied extensively in years gone by. This is still the case these days where factory rally cars are bought to actually go rallying rather than any forsight for future historic value.
    The plot thickens even more.
    The chassis plate (which I still have) is C-A2SB-1068930A. According to Peter Browning's “The Works Minis� this chassis No. is for ORX 777F
    A friend of mine who owns an ex-works car had a really good look at the car and although it had replacement front wings and front panel, which could only be expected with a hard rallying life in private hands, he was of the opinion that other features pointed to the fact that it was indeed an ex-works car.
    The reason I had the car was due to the fact it needed restoring and I was willing to do that so long as the owner paid for parts etc. The labour from my end was to be a “labour of love�.
    I had the car for over two years, and unfortunately the money did not materialize hence no work was done on it. In the end the car was collected on behalf of the owner and moved to Northern Ireland (Lisburn I think) with the intention that it would be restored over there.
    As I say that was five years ago or so and I have heard nothing since.
    One more problem is that at the time the car was still on an old style Green log book. This had been lost by the owner. No idea if it has ever been discovered.

  20. Ianrall wrote: ”
    I live in Lancashire and had in my possession, some five years ago, an ex-works mini belonging to a friend who is Irish and lives in Dublin.

    Hi & welcome inhere 🙂

    Hope the car gets restored (where ever it is) .

    Jens Christian

  21. I know the guy who built the engine when this car was last rallied. He was telling me they split some gun barrel metal tubing and welled it underneath the shell to protect the hydro pipes. Any sign of these still welded on! Would be great to see her restored.

  22. In one picture you can clearly see the hydro pipe's go in the car ? Why would it has a welded part underneath to protect a pipe that's not there anymore?
    It could be a different shell again ofcourse.

  23. minicenti wrote: “Why would it has a welded part underneath to protect a pipe that's not there anymore?”

    I was struggling with that too. (and splitting a gun barrel sounds like quite a task – and it would have to have been bigger than a normal bore rifle or machine gun).

    Protecting hydrolastic pipes was usually confined to Gp1 cars or private Gp2 cars who's owners hadn't been able to persuade Abingdon to do it for them. 'Putting the pipes inside' may be something that sounds simple enough now but in the day it was a highly labour intensive job that very few would take on and one of the only jobs that was not really DIY. When I was casting around to try and get it done, I ended up at Supersport, where Rod Cooper said 'yeah, Tony Pond was in last week asking the same question'. (Pond ran a Cooper S long before Mexicos etc.)

  24. Ianrall wrote: “Here the plot thickens:
    I live in Lancashire and had in my possession, some five years ago, an ex-works mini belonging to a friend who is Irish and lives in Dublin.”

    Hi Ian,
    Good to hear from you again…..Fetch the car back to Lancashire 😉 We could restore it and try to regain our youth, with you in the navigators seat where you belong :)………….Failing that I suppose my ex-works car could be moved from its cosseted existance………..Best wishes for 2013…….

  25. And here he is, with Martin Holmes, on the '69 Nutcracker rally:
    [IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w97/P33JOY/69NutC-2_zps3cac544e-1_zps6763a321.jpg[/IMG]

  26. Orx 777f

    This car was last or still owned by Richie Holfield and last I heard a number of years ago Ian Grindod was going to re-build the car. It had a hard life in Ireland then re-build by Will Sparrow then used yet again this is not a car to copy it still retained quite a few Works parts mainly the Split Webers and a Scandianian Sump guard which I copied.

    Their is a lot of work in building a Works Replica of a MK 2 all I can say is good luck and you need to look at 7/77/707/777 and pick the best out of these cars.

    I spent years and had to sell all my parts, which Paul Lips had, and many of these parts are on ORX7F

    Kelvin

Leave a comment