The Innocenti register caters for all Innocenti Cooper variants built between March 1966 and January 1975, six variants were built within these dates. The most popular of these being the 1300 Export with 28,200 examples being built. So popular was the Export that in addition to the vehicles being built at Milan Italy, that a second factory was built at Seneffe in Belgium, all bodies were still supplied from Milan.
The most noticeable external features of the Export in standard form are a black plastic grille (as later used on ERA turbo’s), indicator side repeaters on the front wings, ‘EXPORT’ badges at the lower end of the ‘A’ panels, quarterlight front windows (non-opening on German market cars), reversing lights and the boot lid with a continental square number plate recess illuminated from above by a chromed plastic lamp.
Engines for the Export were based on the ‘closed’ block Austin 1300GT variety, but with a Morris sticker on the rocker cover. Initially the prefix for these was 12H635X, then it was changed to 12H719X in July 1973 when the modern pot joints were introduced on the drive shaft outputs.
The most noticeable feature of the interior is the six dial full width dashboard, being the most innovative of any Cooper variant ever built; it was the first to have a rev counter as standard equipment. Upholstery came in two colours either black or beige with cloth inserts on all seats, which until recently were irreplaceable, they are now being reproduced by ‘Newton Commercial’.
In addition to the Innocenti built cars, the register also caters for the ‘Authi’ Cooper built in Pamplona, Spain between 1973 and 1975. During this time 5,000 cars are believed to have been built. Today the Authi is probably the rarest Cooper to be found.
Registrar: Foster Charlton